Since my race was downhill I decided to do a long run DOWN from suncrest. this was probably the dumbest thing I did during my training. it was wrong for so many reasons but the biggest being that the road was way steeper than it needed to be. nothing like the canyon I was going to run down. I ran with my friend who was supporting me and running the big race with me. we ran for 10 miles that day and I couldn't walk for days after. not because the length was too much but because the mountain we ran down was too much.
Race day finally came. We had to be there really early to catch the bus that they were taking all the racers up the mountain in. Surprisingly I was not nervous. I had convinced my neighbours husband to run the race. He is a big runner and brought his twin brother along. they helped to keep things light. At the top we had some time to kill. just enough to us the restroom and stretch. When it was time to start I was feeling pretty good.
The first 7 miles or so went smoothly. they were also all downhill :). we came out of the canyon by the zoo which made me smile. This is right where my grandparents use to live and I have many many memories of this area growing up. We turned onto the University campus and this is where things stopped going so well. I knew the race had a hill. it was suppose to be a short hill. When I came around the corner I decided to walk this short hill (first mistake). We got to, what I thought, was the top and started to run again. Around another corner I was surprised to see more hill... and then I saw runners up on the mountain trail... what the?!? my race info said nothing about a trail run UP HILL. More walking. I had the BEST race partner. She would literally take my hand and will me up the hill. When we finally reached the top the book I was listening to ( the hunger games) ended!! I thought I had my ipod set up to play the second half but I guess not. I then had to scramble to get my music going and it kept going to slow songs (second mistake). to say I was frustrated is putting it mildly. I was also disappointed with the stations throughout the whole race. the cups were tiny and not filled up. I was so dang thirsty!! (it was July in Utah) (third mistake, not bringing my own water supply).
We were finally coming to the home stretch. I cannot begin to tell you what it did for me to see Brian and Heather there to cheer us in. I threw my stupid, non-music playing ipod and hat at Brian and started to push to the finish line. I warmed my heart to see the kids there... they must have been waiting FOREVER. and that was it. I was done. I crossed the finish line. Sweet sense of accomplishment. I could not of done it without Melinda running by my side the whole time, no matter how slow I went. Or Heather who was the best at telling me that I really could do anything I put my mind to. Our bodies really are amazing.
I hate this picture of me but LOVE my girls!
Cute Brinners waiting at the finish line.
What a true runner looks like when they finish the race. I am glad I talked him into running the race.
When the race was over I just remember I couldn't feel my feet I had to sit and take off my shoes. After some rest we decided to go to breakfast with our friends who also ran the race (way to go Brad, pictured above). I think I took a long nap that day as well. I am glad I did it and I learned A LOT for next time. I do want to do it again so I can do it better. and probably not choose a race in the summer heat.
No comments:
Post a Comment